NEW ALCHEMY POETRY
7 – 9 p.m. 3rd. Thursday
Featured Poets & Open Mic
Lestate’s West Performance venue
next door to Lestat’s Coffee House
3334 Adams Avenue, San Diego, 92116
(corner of Felton & Adams Ave.)
Host: Seretta Martin & Co-hosts: Fred Longworth
Parking across from Rosie’s at 34th Street & Adams
For those who don’t drive, it’s on the bus line.
Open to anyone who enjoys reading or listening to poetry.
No Cover, but the cafe host asks that you purchase a snack and/or beverage in support of this free space. Delicious pastries, sandwiches, salads & coffee.
January: Pat Andrus
February: thomas gayton
March: Bruce Boston
April: Katie Manning
May: Ana DeMartio & Ron Salisbury
June: Anna Zappoli and Ted Washington
July: Jimmy Jazz & Michael Klam
August – Carol Archibald
September: Clifton King & Cindy Rooth
October: Poetry of Veterans
November – December: TBA
Ten Commandments For Reading Poetry
by Una Nichols Hynum
- Thou shalt not be dull. (A quote from Charles Harper Webb)
- Thou shalt not be long-winded. We all have families we need to get home to. (A quote from Steve Kowit)
- Thou shalt not talk directly to the roof of the podium. Surely you can find one friendly face in the audience.
- Thou shalt not use the microphone as a license to read recklessly something you composed five minutes earlier in the palm of your hand.
- Thou shalt not shuffle papers. Poems are not a deck of cards. Find the jokers before you rise from your seat.
- Thou shalt not show off thy academic prowess. In all your years of college surely you learned humility.
- Thou shalt not, on the other hand, talk down to us. Assume we all know who Lucifer is.
- Thou shalt practice reading loudly like Demosthenes. If necessary find an ocean that will listen.
- Thou shalt not be long-winded.
- Thou shalt not be dull.
2016 – 17 San Diego Poetry Annual
Readings will be held each month
through the Spring and October.
Haiku San Diego: 2nd Sunday
11 – 1:30 p.m.
Do you want to write haiku?
Join us at our monthly —
HAIKU SAN DIEGO
MEETING & WORKSHOP
For location contact Naia: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope to see you there!
Bring a haiku for anon. craft critique
* * *